Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Beautiful Hills in My Backyard


I often dream of living in the countryside. Open green spaces, endless fields, and wild flowers make up my image of content and peaceful life. Luckily, I live on the outskirts of the city (a big city with almost a million residents), and I can enjoy a bit of countryside almost in my backyard.

There are beautiful hills and a wonderful county park with infinite hike trails right next to my home.

These are the hill views from my backyard. Also the first photo is what I see from my dining room. I love that view in winter times when I have my cup of morning tea or coffee. And in spring and summer, I get up early to enjoy my coffee on the patio looking at those hills and trees. That’s the best way to start my day!




 
The hills are at their prime beauty in early spring. After the winter rains, they are so lusciously green. And it’s when the wild flowers bloom.  




Oh how delightful it is to walk paths such as this one!



The orange flowers are California poppies – the state flower of California.

Another delight that the hills offer is meeting wild animals – mule deer, wild turkeys, hares, and California quails. Once on a hike, my husband and I even saw a family of feral pigs – a mommy and three piglets, but they were far away off the trail and didn’t even notice us. Our hills are also the home to more dangerous residents – mountain lions and rattle snakes, so special precautions should always be taken when hiking.



As the summer arrives, and in California it arrives early, the hills change their appearance dramatically. Green color begins to disappear and yellow begins to dominate the scenery.  The wild flowers disappear, and the hills remind me of the African Savannah, which brings the danger of wild fires.




Right now the hills are in the transition from green to yellow. A few more weeks, and they will look almost lifeless. My family and I try to enjoy their beauty while it’s still here. We go up the hills to the county park a few times a week. Sometimes we have a picnic there; other times just take a short walk with the kids. Staying on the main ground of the park is safe; mountain lions don’t come there, but other harmless wild animals can be seen in the distance, which fascinates the children.





I especially like being there at and right after the sunset. At that time the place has such a tranquil and calming feeling.




13 comments:

Olive said...

The orange poppies are gorgeous. What a beautiful place.

Sarah said...

Beautiful post Olga! I miss being close to nature. Have a great week!

Dewberry said...

California poppies looks amazing on the both sides of the road! I'd like to walk this road everyday :)

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Beautiful. The poppies are amazing.

Bettina Bäck said...

What a lovely walk! I do love the california poppies. Like little suns. :-)

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Olga,
Spring is the best season for enjoying nature! Lovely walks you can take and great views.
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Karen Frost said...

Olga, your views are beautiful - I love the tall Cypress trees that you see from your window! The rolling hills, large trees and wildflowers are like a painting! xoxo

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Wow! You got some fantastic views. You are so lucky to have a little wilderness right outside your door. Nature feeds so much in us. We have a big community space not far from us. A short time ago I came almost face to face with a coyote at midday. That was fun. But I love it if I only see a few migrating birds. So great for your boys!

mousumi roy said...

Hi Olga !!!

I usually visit your craft blog. This is the first time I am visiting this blog. Wow the view is simply awesome. U r so lucky to live in a place like this.

Will be coming back more often to have taste of natural beauty.

luv

Moushumi

Sheila said...

Olga, I enjoyed reading about your beautiful surroundings and I'm so impressed with the way you described everything so eloquently. I remember you telling me that you had started your blog to improve your English skills. Olga, your writing and language skills are excellent now. You've certainly achieved your goal. I hope someday your dream of living in the country comes true but til then your frequent day trips must be so enjoyable for yur whole family. Sunshine Always! Sheila

Erin Kaine said...

Very pretty there is nothing better than being alone in the most amazing natural settings !

Erica (Irene) said...

You have a beautiful view.....you are lucky to live there..... the rolling hills, trees and gorgeous flowers.

Manuela said...

Hello

I love this season, the nature is amazing, this place is beautiful.

Manuela

Post a Comment